Housing advice

Where to get advice (details of advice agencies)


Contact Shelter's free housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444 (calls are free from UK landlines and main mobile networks)

Citizens Advice Bureau

Advice by phone is available from all Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB). In addition CAB is in the process of
developing a national phone service. It will become available in different parts of the UK over the next
two years. In England the service is currently being rolled out area by area. If it is not yet available in your
area, you will hear options for recorded information.

Ring: 08444 111 444 TextRelay users should call 08444 111 445

Advice for students from the National Union of Students

Community Legal Advice (Free service)

Legal Aid information

Specific housing advice for England (In subject alphabetical order)

Assured and Assured Shorthold Tenancies: A guide for tenants

Assured shorthold tenants: Top tips

Assured Tenancy guide (DCLG)

Electrical safety in private rented homes (the law on)

Electricians and gas engineers (ensuring your landlord uses a competent person)

Energy performance certificates and rented homes

Eviction (Shelter)

Excluded Occupiers (Shelter)

Finding a place to live (Shelter)

Fire safety

Finding accommodation (CAB)

Furniture fire safety in private rented accommodation

Gas safety (www.gov.uk)

Gas safety (GasSafeRegister)

Health and safety in private rented accommodation (including gas and electrical safety)

Homeless (where to get help) (Directgov and link to Shelter)

Houses in multiple occupation (Advice from Shelter)

Housing and flat sharing and lodging: NPTO Guide to websites for flat or house sharing and lodgers

Housing benefit changes (Shelter)

Illegal eviction (Shelter)

Landlord's address (how to get it) (Advice from Shelter)

Leaseholders (Leashold Advisory Service)

Letting agency fees (CAB)

Local housing allowance (housing benefit) (Directgov)

Pets (see page 68. Office of Fair Trading)

Regulated tenancies guide (Directgov guide)

Rent (arrears) (CAB)

Rent (increases) (Shelter)

Rent (increases) (Directgov guide)

Rent (increases) (CAB)

Repairs (in private rented accommodation)

Tenancy agreements (CAB)

Tenancy deposit protection (Directgov guide)

Tenancy deposit protection (Tenancy Deposit Scheme)

Was the advice useful? please let us know

This page was last updated on 10th May 2013